The easiest way to propagate an Avocado
Avocado water root propagation:
Avocado trees are arguably our favorite parts about avocados (sorry avo-toast). And the best part? They’re super easy to grow!
After a lot of trial and error, we found a way to propagate an avocado that’s easy and effective, and we thought we’d share it with you all, step by step.
Good luck!! Hope you make lots of Avocado babies!
- Cut an avocado
- Take the fresh avocado pit and peel the outer brown layer off. We like doing that under running water, it makes for an easy clean up. Peeling it will eliminate a moldy layer that sometimes forms on your pit, ew.
- Take a couple of paper towels and wet them.
- Wrap the avocado pit in the wet paper towels
- Place the wrapped avocado in a ziplock bag and zip it closed. What you’re doing is creating a humid environment which will keep the pit damp and won’t let it dry out, while promoting faster growth.
- Check up on the pit every once in a while to see when it’s ready to transfer to water. You’re looking for a split to form in the pit, and a small root to emerge from the bottom. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t split right away- these things can take over a month!
- Once your avocado has split, take a propagation cone and place it on top of a water glass.
- Place your avocado in the cone, with the bottom of the avocado sitting in the cone.
- Fill the glass with water making sure the root is immersed in water. The pit does not have to be in the water.
- Now the fun part! The avocado pit’s divide will keep getting bigger, and more roots will form. Eventually it will sprout from the top end as well and leaves will form.
- You’ll want to change out the water about once a week to make sure it’s getting all the nutrients to stay alive. How long can I grow my avocado in water, you ask? After a couple of months, you might notice some leaves start to brown, or leaves won’t keep coming in. That’s when you might want to transfer it to soil. You don’t need to plant the whole pit, just the roots.
Want to see the full video? Head over to out IG to check it out:
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.